Wednesday May 16th sees the long-awaited launch of new social bowls night at the club – and everybody’s invited. The Top10 Open Bowls League (Formerly ‘Fast5’) is a fast-paced and great fun Wednesday night league, with a trophy and cash prize for the top 10 players at the end of the season.
6pm for 6:30pm start
The format, 2 sets of 5 ends, with randomly drawn pairs, is open to everybody – members, social members and guests. The match should last little more than an hour. Free for members, £1 for everybody else, the games are quick, fun, and strictly informal; dress code is smart-casual so come as you are. All equipment will be provided to non-members, although please wear flat soled shoes.
This is also the perfect time to enjoy the long summer evenings and have a relaxed social.
- A copy of the rules (they’re quite short) will be available on the night, but for the keen, here’s the main points:
- The games will be played in pairs (or appropriate numbered teams), drawn from a hat on the night. The pairs may be single or mixed gender.
- The game will be played over two sets of 5 ends. Standard Bowls England pairs rules apply unless superseded below.
- If the score is tied at one set each, an additional end will decide the game.
- Should the deciding end be a no-scoring end, additional ends will be played until an end is won.
- Jacks in the ditch are live.
- At their own discretion, pairs may choose to switch their lead and skip at then end of the first set.
- Pairs are not fixed for the duration of the tournament – any player may end up paired with any other player for one of more games.
- Scoring is as follows: +1 point for each match played; +2 points for each set won [2 sets are played]; +1 point for each set drawn; +1 point for each match won. The maximum points available per match is therefore 6
- (NEW FOR 2018) The top two players present (based on league position) will be placed on different teams prior to the drawn.
For more information, contact the organiser Alfie Simmons at