Stoke Park is ready and eager to start the new season with anticipation of some exciting fixtures and competitions.
We start our season away at Bramley on April 27th, followed by hosting Mytchett on April 28th. The fixture card is filled with social and competitive fixtures throughout the summer and we hope to see some good bowling all season.
The green has been shortened on the western side (towards Wey Valley) – we intend on rotating the green this year to help the greenkeepers… keep it green! It will be a challenge for the first few weeks, but we’re sure we’ll all get our bearings very soon.
Stoke Park’s luck last year in the West Surrey league left us, reluctantly leaving us with 15 points in 8th. With majority home games this year, we’re looking to break the top half and perhaps promotion with everyone’s support!
Our sides in the Tuesday, Thursday and Friday leagues are back again; we hope everyone can help them as they push for success.
The Top10 Wednesday social evenings will also be back in 2019 (first date TBC). Open to absolutely everyone, no dress code, and a format that can change the result in the blink of an eye, come on down and invite anyone for a enjoyable evening. Remember you get points for just turning up!
The club competitions have been drawn – please help the organisers in playing the games promptly. Last year saw some very exciting games lead to a packed Finals Day and we hope there will be just as many great matches this year.
Our selected charity this year is Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice Care, who provide care for those in West Surrey and NE Hampshire. They are a very worthy cause, so please donate what you can whenever you see a pot at the clubhouse.
Finally, we hope everyone enjoys themselves and we have a glorious summer. Put your names down for selection wherever possible, and ultimately have fun!
Stoke Park Bowling Club is pleased to announce the renewal of the annual Open Mixed Floodlight Competition, to be played on weeknights commencing on Monday 10th September 2018.
The competition is open to mixed teams of four players which shall all times comprise of at least one lady and one man, and do not have to be all be members of the same club with a substitute allowed. All teams will be guaranteed at least two games.
Further details available here.
(hopefully the rain will stay away!)
Wednesday May 16th sees the long-awaited launch of new social bowls night at the club – and everybody’s invited. The Top10 Open Bowls League (Formerly ‘Fast5’) is a fast-paced and great fun Wednesday night league, with a trophy and cash prize for the top 10 players at the end of the season.
6pm for 6:30pm start
The format, 2 sets of 5 ends, with randomly drawn pairs, is open to everybody – members, social members and guests. The match should last little more than an hour. Free for members, £1 for everybody else, the games are quick, fun, and strictly informal; dress code is smart-casual so come as you are. All equipment will be provided to non-members, although please wear flat soled shoes.
This is also the perfect time to enjoy the long summer evenings and have a relaxed social.
- A copy of the rules (they’re quite short) will be available on the night, but for the keen, here’s the main points:
- The games will be played in pairs (or appropriate numbered teams), drawn from a hat on the night. The pairs may be single or mixed gender.
- The game will be played over two sets of 5 ends. Standard Bowls England pairs rules apply unless superseded below.
- If the score is tied at one set each, an additional end will decide the game.
- Should the deciding end be a no-scoring end, additional ends will be played until an end is won.
- Jacks in the ditch are live.
- At their own discretion, pairs may choose to switch their lead and skip at then end of the first set.
- Pairs are not fixed for the duration of the tournament – any player may end up paired with any other player for one of more games.
- Scoring is as follows: +1 point for each match played; +2 points for each set won [2 sets are played]; +1 point for each set drawn; +1 point for each match won. The maximum points available per match is therefore 6
- (NEW FOR 2018) The top two players present (based on league position) will be placed on different teams prior to the drawn.
For more information, contact the organiser Alfie Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stoke Park are holding several free Open Sessions this summer, open to everyone to try their hands at Bowls with our friendly members.
Whether you have no experience or you’re returning to the sport, everyone is welcome.
These days come with no obligation – simply come up and our members and coaches will be here to help. Refreshments will be available from our licensed bar.
The sessions are:
Saturday 21st April: 10am and 3pm
Sunday 22nd April: 10am and 3pm
Wednesday 2nd May: 3pm and 7pm
All you need to bring is a pair of flat-soled shoes: we’ll provide the rest.
Further information will be added on the Stoke Park Bowling Club Facebook page, where you can also get in contact with us.
Stoke Park bowling club will be holding their pre-season ‘sign-up’ evening on Friday 16th March. Existing and new members alike are warmly invited to attend. Membership forms will be provided on the evening, so remember to dust off those cheque books.
Wednesday 8th March marks the pre-season ‘sign-up’ day for Stoke Park bowling club. It’s the ideal time to catch up after the long winter, have a tea of coffee from our newly refurbished kitchen, and dust off those chequebooks.